Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The answers and advice provided is intended to be of a general and helpful nature and should not be construed as being specific or binding and does not form part of any contract of insurance policy, contract or quotation. Please contact us if you have any specific query and we will be pleased to provide advice to reflect, as best we can, your particular query and requirements.

Does my household insurance cover my amateur radio equipment?

This will depend upon the type of insurance policy you have and the insurer with whom you are insured.  If your policy does provide cover you might have cover for your radio equipment within your home but this does not mean you will automatically have cover for equipment you take away from your home.

If you are in any doubt as to whether or not your household insurance provides appropriate cover you should contact your insurance adviser/broker or your household insurance company and ask them.  Ideally ask them to confirm their answer in writing, so you have a record of what they tell you.

Does my household insurance provide Public Liability (Third Party) cover?

Household insurance policies do provide third party public liability cover.  However, this insurance will only respond to a claim if you are negligent for the injury to a third party or for damage to third party property.

If you are in any doubt as to whether or not your household insurance provides appropriate cover you should contact your insurance adviser/broker or your household insurance company and ask them.  Ask them to confirm their answer in writing, so you have a record of what they tell you.

We are an amateur radio club.  Do we need public liability insurance?

We recommend that any individual, club or any other organisation has appropriate and adequate public liability insurance.  If your amateur radio club is affiliated to the Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB), public liability insurance may be provided by virtue of being affiliated.  If you are in any doubt as to whether or not you already have public liability insurance you should make appropriate enquiries.

If your club is not affiliated to the RSGB cover is available under our insurance scheme for limits of £2,000,000 or £5,000,000.  The Public Liability insurance can be extended to include “Member to Member” liability.  This means that your policy will provide cover if one member of your club negligently causes an injury to another member of your club.

How much Public Liability cover should I have?

There is no scientific method for determining how much cover you should have.  If you are sued by a third party and your case is heard in a court, there is no way of predicting how much the court will award in damages or compensation.  For individual clients, the minimum limit of indemnity provided by our Amateur Radio Insurance Policy is £1,000,000 but our recommendation is to purchase as high a limit of indemnity as you can reasonably afford.  Under our insurance scheme cover is available for limits of £2,000,000 or £5,000,000.

Some of my radio equipment is quite old so how should these items be valued for insurance?

Our amateur radio insurance scheme provides cover on a “new for old” basis.  This means that in the event of your equipment being lost/stolen or damaged and beyond economic repair, the insurer will settle your claim on the basis that you can replace the equipment with new equipment that is the nearest equivalent to the item for which you wish to claim.

Some of my radio equipment is quite old and I no longer have receipts for the equipment.  How does this affect the insurance?

It is not a condition of the insurance that you have receipts or invoices for all items of equipment.  However, as with all insurances, our advice is that you keep as much evidence as possible regarding purchase, ownership and value of all your radio equipment including serial numbers and any other unique identification marks.  With any claim it is much easier to prove and substantiate your loss if you have more, rather than less paper work.  It can often be helpful to have photographs of the items to be insured and, if possible, for the photographs to be date stamped.

Do I need to specify each item of equipment?

We do ask for an inventory of all your equipment to help ensure there is no misunderstanding as to whether a particular item of radio equipment is or is not insured.  Our advice is to maintain an up to date inventory of all your equipment and keep us advised of any changes to your list of equipment to ensure that your insurer is aware of the equipment you wish to insure.

Sums Insured

You should insure for the full replacement value of all your amateur radio equipment.  If you do not insure for the full replacement value then you will be under insured and your insurer can reduce the claim settlement in proportion to the amount of under insurance.  This is known as “Average” and is not unique to our amateur radio policy but is a fundamental principle of all property insurance policies.  Of course, it is also impossible to predict which piece of equipment will be lost or damaged.  If you keep all of your equipment in one location then all of it could be destroyed, for example, by fire and fire will not distinguish between items of high or low value or importance to you.  Even if your amateur radio equipment is kept in different locations you should still insure for the full replacement value of all your equipment because the principle of under insurance (Average) will still apply.

We are a club and sometimes hire in or borrow equipment.  Can this be insured?

We can include hired or borrowed equipment but you need to include this request in your application form and specify what sum insured you require.  It is a fundamental principle of ALL insurance policies that you must have “Insurable Interest” in the property that you wish to insure.  If an individual lends their radio equipment to a club, that does not automatically mean the club can insure the equipment being borrowed.  The club must have “Insurable Interest” and this means that the club must suffer financially if the equipment being lent to them is lost, damaged or destroyed.  Insurable Interest is based on legal principles and although the relationship between an individual and a club may be relaxed and friendly, an insurance policy is still a legal contract and, in the event of a claim, ANY insurer will still wish to ensure that the individual or organisation making a claim has a legal and valid basis for making the claim.

We are not qualified to give legal advice but if you are lending or borrowing equipment we strongly recommend you confirm, in writing, any agreement upon which the equipment is lent or borrowed between all parties and clearly stating who is responsible for the equipment whilst on loan or being borrowed.  This does not mean that “Insurable Interest” has been created but at least, in the event of a claim, you can provide documentation to your insurer to support any claim being made.

I need to pay the premium.  What methods of payment are available?

You can pay by cheque, and by most major debit and credit cards or by electronic transfer.  Unless we have specifically agreed with you any other arrangement, we must be in receipt of your premium before insurance cover can be arranged.  Cheques must be made payable to PSP Insurance Services Ltd.

Coronavirus/COVID19Given the current situation and to avoid any delays in payment, our preferred method of payment is by Bank Transfer or Debit/Credit Card.  This ensures minimum social contact for our Accounts team and bank staff.  We understand that there may be occasions when this is not possible and a cheque payment is the only option

Is cover available for radio equipment left in unattended vehicles?

Cover is available subject to the following conditions.

Cover excludes any loss from an unattended vehicle or trailer vehicle being any vehicle with no person in charge or keeping the vehicle under observation and able to observe or prevent any attempt by any person to interfere with the vehicle

Unless You have ensured that

a. all doors windows and other points of access have been locked where locks have been fitted and

b. all manufacturers’ security devices have been put into effect and

c. the keys have been removed from any unattended Vehicle and

d. unattached trailers have anti-hitching devices fitted and they are put into effect

e. Damage resulting from theft or attempted theft from any unattended vehicle during the hours from 9pm until 6am unless such vehicle is

f. garaged in a securely locked building of substantial nature or

g. a compound which has secure walls and/or fences and securely locked gates

I have radio equipment installed in my car, is this insured?

Cover is not automatically included but can be provided subject to agreement by insurers.

I’m going abroad and taking some of my radio equipment with me.  Am I insured?

This depends upon whether you have chosen to buy worldwide cover.  If you have chosen this option then the policy provides cover for 21 days abroad in any one period of insurance but cover excludes public liability insurance in respect of the USA and Canada.

Is Personal Accident insurance included within the Amateur Radio Insurance policy?

Our policy does not include Personal Accident insurance.  Depending upon your particular circumstances we can seek quotations for this type of insurance but any insurance provided would be by way of a separate and specific insurance policy.

If you have any further questions, please contact us

%d bloggers like this:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.